Out of the box, Lando uses an external server to route pretty domain names back to your localhost to provide convenient proxying. This method is minimally invasive and doesn't require Lando to alter your machine's DNS routing. This has the downside of requiring an internet connection to access your sites.
You may want the freedom of hacking away on your site while scaling Everest or just to simply route your projects to a different top level domain, like
*.dev is not recommended because it is a reserverd TLD by Google.
To enable offline custom TLD goodness, we'll use DNSMasq to route traffic to our local system and add a single config line to our global Lando config to direct lando to use that TLD for our sites.
- Ensure you've installed Homebrew.
- Install DNSMasq:
brew install dnsmasq
- Follow the instructions in the output of
brew info dnsmasq
- Add the following line to your
Sub in your favorite TLD for 'localhost' here if you want to use something more flashy.
- Restart DNSMasq:
brew services restart dnsmasq
- For OS X to resolve requests from *.localhost to localhost we need to add a resolver:
sudo mkdir -p /etc/resolver sudo nano /etc/resolver/localhost
- Add the following line to the localhost file resolver in /etc/resolver/.
- Reboot OS X to enable the new resolver.
- Flush your DNS, just to be sure that your browsers use the new dns
sudo dscacheutil -flushcache sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder
- Open your
~/.lando/config.ymlfile and add the following line:
Again, allow your creativity to flourish and use whatever TLD makes you smile.
- Power Lando down with
- Start up your favorite Lando app to test it out with
lando startfrom within your app's root directory. You should see something like:
BOOMSHAKALAKA!!! Your app has started up correctly. Here are some vitals: NAME bestappever LOCATION /Users/McFly/timemachines/bestappever SERVICES appserver, nginx, database, cache, node APPSERVER URLS https://localhost:32791 http://localhost:32792 http://bestappever.localhost https://bestappever.localhost
- Load it up in the browser and confirm everything is happy and working.
Enjoy your signature top level domain while you hack away in complete wifi-less splendor.